Dr. Petruzzelli is a licensed clinical sport psychologist, performance psychologist and mindfulness teacher located in Sacramento, California. She works with sport teams and elite athletes across the country. She has significant experience working with NCAA D1 athletes and works full-time at Sacramento State Athletics. Dr. Petruzzelli is the first licensed clinical psychologist and sport psychologist to be housed in an athletics department in the California State University system, and only one of 30 psychologists in the nation to be housed in a D1 athletics program.
Dr. Petruzzelli has been featured in Triathlete Magazine, Runners World Magazine, MensHealth.Com, Fitness.Com, Womens Health, and other mainstream publications. Dr. Petruzzelli is also a 2x Ironman triathlete and endurance runner, and notably an age group podium finisher at Ironman Texas 2014. She was also 2015 Sacramento Business Journal 40-Under-40 award winner.
- California State University, Sacramento at Student Health and Counseling Services / Department of Athletics
- Health Care Provider CPR Certified
- USA Track & Field Level 1 Coach
- Applied Skills Suicide Intervention Training (ASSIT) Certification
Education and Licensure:
- Licensed Psychologist, State of California PSY23863
- Doctor of Psychology (Psy.D), Clinical Psychology, Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Dissertation: Performance, Anxiety, and Athletes:Behavioral and Cognitive Approaches to Understanding Performance Anxiety and its Treatment.
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Psychology, Eastern Michigan University
- University of California Davis, School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
- Wichita State University Counseling and Testing Center (primary emphasis area Sport Psychology and Psychological Testing & Assessment)
- University of Kansas School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry (emphasis on Neuropsychological Testing & Assessment)
Post-Bachelor Research Fellowship
- National Institutes of Health/ National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) in collaboration with National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)-Intramural Research Fellowship postbaccalaureate student in the Development and Plasticity Section.
Mindfulness & Meditation Training Experience:
- Certified Koru Mindfulness Teacher (Sept 2017)
- Koru Mindfulness Teacher Certification Training at EarthRise Retreat Center 8/2-8/6/15.
- Ananda 3-day Silent Guided Meditation Retreat
- 8 week Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Program
- Mindfulness Based Interventions Evidence Based Advancements in Treating Anxiety, Depression and Trauma Across All Ages and Settings (8 hrs)
- Mindfulness and Meditation in Psychotherapeutic Practice (4 hrs)
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction: Transfer Your Client’s Life With MBSR & Positive Psychology with Elisha Goldstein, Ph.D (8 hrs)
Additional Training Experience:
- “Developing Your Knowledge, Skills, and Practice in Sport Psychology” at Ohio Center for Sport Psychology
- Consulting With Elite Sport by Association of Applied Sport Psychology
- Association of Applied Sport Psychology Performance Enhancement with College Athletes
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy Treatment for Eating Disorders at JKF University
Memberships and Associations:
- Association for Applied Sport Psychology (AASP)- Annual conference abstract reviewer in 2013-2016
- USA Track & Field
- USA Triathlon
- Lifetime Member of Chico Triathlon Club
- US Masters Swimming
- Davis Aquatic Masters
- Latino Alumni Chapter of Eastern Michigan University
- Alumni Association of Eastern Michigan University
- Alumni Association of Nova Southeastern University
- Lifetime Member, Alumni Association of Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Inc.