Dr. Petruzzelli is an accomplished athlete, and played competitive soccer for 18 years before transitioning to competing in triathlons and road racing. She is a competitive age-group triathlete, having finished multiple Ironman triathlons, most notably in 2014 she placed 5th in her age-group at Ironman Texas. When she is not working or competing, Dr. Petruzzelli enjoys practicing yoga, traveling, and spending time with her family.
Why did you get into sport psychology?
“Sports psychology is a natural marriage of my clinical study of psychology background and passion for endurance sports. The understanding of the two come naturally to me. I empower others by teaching them to integrate their physical and mental skill abilities to achieve levels of personal excellence. However, one of the most important things I can share with you is that I have a passion for helping people reach their peak potential in life. I have always believed that everyone is born with a gift or talent to share in life, and that we all need people on our “team” to help us shine at our brightest. I have been blessed with many wonderful people in my life who were put on my path to help me foster my gift. They encouraged me, they believed in me, and they helped me shine in life and in sport. That does not mean that I did not have troubles, challenges, and adversities. In fact, I have had my fair share of them and more. However, I believe life gives us what we desire and what we need to grow, and you have to admit challenges refine us and make us stronger if we use them to our advantage. With that said, my goal for any service I provide is for you to gain hope, motivation, inspiration, fierceness, insight, awareness, and anything that feeds your soul to be a better person and athlete.”
Dr. G’s goal is to help people and athletes become their best selves in sport and life. She walks the talk and lives by example. Here are a few facts and figures about Dr. G:
- She was born and raised in Michigan and completed her undergrad at Eastern Michigan University
- She currently lives in Northern California with her amazing husband , Ken.
- She has a doctorate degree in Clinical Psychology with a specialization in Sport Psychology.
- She is a doggy mom to five-year old Miss Frida, a Pug-Chihuahua mix.
- She is a published co-author in peer reviewed scientific journals.
- She is a USA Track and Field Level 1 Certified Coach.
- She played competitive soccer for 18+ years before road racing and triathlon.
- She has been racing triathlon since 2007.
- She has completed a total of 13 half-ironman (70.3) distance races in Florida, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, and California and 2 full distance 140.6 IM races.
- She finished sub-12 hrs and 14th in her age group in her first full distance (140.6) Ironman at 2013 Memorial Herman Ironman Texas and 5th AG at Ironman Texas in 2014.
- She finished 3rd in her age group in her first half-marathon in 2007 at Miami ING Half-Marathon.
- She has a 10k PR of 39:55!
“Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power.” Lao-Tzu