I don’t know about you but this time of year has gotten pretty hectic for me. There have been lots of great things, sharing things, new out-of-my-comfort-zone things, painful things, challenging things, and inspirational things going on in my life. Much of which reflects the intersections of my life as a full-time psychologist at the university health center, my LWNL sport psych work, love of sport, being a wife, friend, and athlete. Here is what I’ve been up for the last several weeks while being M.I.A from my blog…
- Ran the “Run Because You Can” 10k on 11/3/13 here in Sacramento. It was my first road race in 2 years. I did not know what to expect but I do know myself, and expected to go as hard as I could. This was a great race for an amazing cause. It’s theme is “Move Into Life” . It was fun, hard, windy, cold, but gratifying. I ran my way to Overall Female Winner and Top 2 overall of men and women with a time of 41:18 (6:39 min/mi pace). I am beyond blessed for the ability to challenge and push my body. To be honest, 10k’s are always painfully challenging for me…
- I prepared and gave two major presentations on Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction for Sac State and for The Chavara International Center for Indian and Inter-Religious Studies. I love giving back to the community and sharing my knowledge, skills, and experience. Both groups were great and experiences like these remind me of why I care so much about the work I do, and why it is so important that we share our gifts with the world..these gifts are not our own, they were given to us for a purpose.
- I conducted a small group mental skills athlete training on the power of self talk and athletic performance called, “Developing Your Inner Coach.” We had 10 amazing athletes share their dreams, goals, and desires to be the best athlete they can, mind and body! I love group training, the sharing of experiences and the power of supporting each others dreams is very powerful! “Where two or more agree…”
- I got my FIRST US Masters Swimming medal in the mail from my 5k swim back in July. I managed to get 3rd place in 30-34 AG in the 5k Long Distance National Championships! It was not so much the result but this symbolized me pushing my comfort zone and trying something new for my body. Plus, I love my swim team, Davis Aquatic Masters, and it definitely reflected my new found passion for masters swimming!
- My husband officially announces the opening of his law firm, Petruzzelli Law! A reflection of 10 years of law experience, practice, and public service. I am so proud of him! We are blessed with the opportunity to support him in creating his dream and a business that reflects integrity, quality relationships, and fair legal services.
- Yesterday my husband and I ran the Davis Turkey Trot 10k. I ran my way to 2nd Overall Female and 2nd AG! It as a tough day out there. I fought hard with myself to stay present and get my body moving at a pace I could hold. As competitive as people may think I am, I am truly, only, competitive with myself. I live by this quote by John Wooden, “I also know that only one person on earth knows if you made your best effort; not your coach, not your employer, not your husband or wife, boyfriend or girlfriend, brother or sister. The only person who knows is you. You can fool everyone else.” Every race that I choose to “race” I will always give my all. I’ve always been like that, even as a kid, I went all out, gave everything I had, and valued my contribution to a team or effort. I am the same in work, life, sport, and relationships. Sometimes the outcome in life and sport reflects that and sometimes it does not.
I’m also very happy to share…
- My very close friends of ours, The Wood Family welcomed their sweet baby girl into the world a head of time. Welcome Lilyana!
- Great friends Marni and Karel Sumbal of Tri Marni Coaching and Nutrition debuted their NEW WEBSITE along with amazing NEW SERVICES! There is a lot of great content, videos, inspiration, and services. If you want great services, fair prices, from people that live by example and passion for what they do then Trimarni is where you need to go:)
- Finally got out of my comfort zone went trail running with my co-worker up at Cronan Ranch Trails with her ultra running group. Can I say AMAZING?! Not only was I running with some majorly accomplished ultra runners (like the many time winner of Western States 50; and 6th world ranked 1500 masters track runner) but they were kind, welcoming, and so much fun! Looking forward to next time…I’m also thinking about jumping into some trail races.
With all that good stuff going on I also have to admit that in the last few weeks I have felt like I’ve been trying to keep my head above water. Some health issues came up for my mother and it was hard dealing with everyday life knowing she was not well at that time (she is doing much much better now..Thank God!). There were many times I said to myself, “Why did I commit to this or that?” “Should I just not do so and so?” “Maybe I should not have…” and then each time I would doubt or question I would get an affirmation from God and the Universe that I was doing the right thing. Those signs/affirmations were exactly what I needed to keep going, to keep giving, to keep sharing, to keep the faith. As exhausted as I felt sometimes I knew I had to trust myself, trust God and the Universe that it would hold me up. I also know that nothing in life is permanent and all things are temporary, the good and the not so good. I had to remind myself over and over again (often many times in the matter of a minute) to be present with the goodness and love, but also be present in the challenging and painful. Obviously, it was not without the support from my loving husband, family, coworkers, and friends that I made it through to finally share about it on my blog. Me writing this now is a testimony that life has in fact slowed down a bit and provided me with the time to process, heal, and share. Plus my mom is doing so much better!
Just as in sport, life reminded me that I have many gears. Sometimes I will be challenged to balance many good things with some hurtful things. Sometimes I will be challenged to coexist with pain that I can not take away for anyone. Sometimes I will be challenged to break out of comfort zone for the sake of making myself better and finding new connections. Sometimes I will be challenged to just.do.the.work even when I am tired, doubting, and exhausted. But I am also reminded that, ALL the time I will be provided with what I need, when I need it, in the way that need it…so even though people did not fully know what I was going through every kind word, every “thank you”, every effort to reach out or share positivity on FB, Instagram, Twitter, e-mail, and text, kept me going and is testimony that we all are in this together. Even if you don’t think it makes a difference to you, everything kind action or word WILL make a difference to someone else. As always, thank you for taking the time to share and read my blog….remember to KEEP ON SHINING and Own Your Greatness!